Hello there! I would like to begin this blog with the definition of the word, spiritual. Although many deny it, we live in a spiritual world. The Word of God states that “God is a spirit,” (Jn. 4:24) and mankind was created in the image of God (Gen. 1:27). I plan on exploring spirituality throughout this blog.
While exploring spiritual things, I also want the subjects shared to be relevant to your life. The word relevant means “pertinent or applicable.” So much of the subject of spirituality is not applicable to people’s lives. My desire is for these postings to be applicable to your life.
Many people today have hijacked the meaning of words. Hence, I like to use what I believe to be the best dictionary that a person can use today – Webster’s 1828 Dictionary of the English Language. There are many reasons why I believe it is about the best dictionary one can use and I will share those reasons at another time.
Here are all the definitions of spiritual found in said dictionary…
1. Consisting of spirit; not material; incorporeal; as a spiritual substance or being. The soul of man is spiritual.
2. Mental; intellectual; as spiritual armor.
3. Not gross; refined from external things; not sensual; relative to mind only; as a spiritual and refined religion.
4. Not lay or temporal; relating to sacred things; ecclesiastical; as the spiritual functions of the clergy; the lords spiritual and temporal; a spiritual corporation.
5. Pertaining to spirit or to the affections; pure; holy.
Gods law is spiritual; it is a transcript of the divine nature, and extends its authority to the acts of the soul of man.
6. Pertaining to the renewed nature of man; as spiritual life.
7. Not fleshly; not material; as spiritual sacrifices. 1 Pet 2.
8. Pertaining to divine things; as spiritual songs. Eph 5.
Spiritual court, an ecclesiastical court; a court held by a bishop or other ecclesiastic.
Notice how Mr. Webster makes a clear distinction between the body & the soul. The 7th definition makes it very clear that something spiritual is “not fleshly; not material…” In the next definition, he states that spiritual pertains to divine things. In other words, something that is spiritual pertains to things of God.
Do you live a spiritual life? Do you have an interest to live a spiritual life? Do you feel deep down there is more to life than the life you are currently living? Perhaps you consider yourself a spiritual person. Maybe you are spiritual but long to have spiritual relevance in your life. I trust that this blog helps you on your way.
Nearly every day of my life, I come across words, ideas, and situations that steer me to the spiritual. I invite you to join me on this journey!
2 thoughts on “Definition of “spiritual””
Yes, we are spiritual beings having a human experience, instead of insignificant human beings trying to have a spiritual experience.:)
All of life concerns the spirit and is spirit. Thank you for sharing.